Pages

Monday, June 20, 2011

Not really Proof of the Afterlife

First let me start out by saying, I do agree with the hypocrisy of most Christians and their "Do as I say, not as I do" philosophy.  I feel like most people get too lost in their own faults and lives to realize what a negative affect their words and actions can have on the people around them (as well as their own hereafter).  I feel like this was important for the author to get across and he did so very well.  However, that's about all I was able to take in from this novel. 
Throughout the book the author was extremely repetitive about what was in the upcoming chapters.  He kept starting to talk about something and then reference a later chapter, so the whole story was given in pieces and parts that went back and forth in time with no fluidity or transition.  There were a few gramatical errors and horrid comma use but otherwise the problem wasn't the sentence structure.  The book was not what I expected.  I was looking for a more Diary of Anne Frank feel where the author detailed his near death experience in his journal and how it made him feel.  What I got was a little more preachy and a tad more far fetched in some assumptions.  It was filled with a few tiny journal passages and then the rest was simply speculation about events that tied into some of the author's dreams.  It was very hard to keep up with what was going on and when.  I do, wholeheartedly, believe that God talks to us in so many ways and that everything in this book could have happened, but I feel like in this book, it was a little too much.  The journal entries weren't journal entries in a sense that they didn't feel "real."  What I mean is that when someone writes in a journal, there are no limitations--most of the time people write what they are feeling and it's not proper and well written all the time.  These entries seemed strained...and there was way too much abiguity.  So much so that the author had to take a ton of time explaining what he went through...because the journal didn't have any details about the experiences.  To me, it just left so much room for improvement.

Rating: 2

No comments:

Post a Comment