Pages

Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Hex Hall Part Deux (Some Spoilers)


From Goodreads:

Sophie Mercer thought she was a witch.

That was the whole reason she was sent to Hex Hall, a reform school for delinquent Prodigium (aka witches, shapeshifters, and fairies). But that was before she discovered the family secret, and that her hot crush, Archer Cross, is an agent for The Eye, a group bent on wiping Prodigium off the face of the earth.

Turns out, Sophie’s a demon, one of only two in the world—the other being her father. What’s worse, she has powers that threaten the lives of everyone she loves. Which is precisely why Sophie decides she must go to London for the Removal, a dangerous procedure that will destroy her powers.

But once Sophie arrives she makes a shocking discovery. Her new friends? They’re demons too. Meaning someone is raising them in secret with creepy plans to use their powers, and probably not for good. Meanwhile, The Eye is set on hunting Sophie down, and they’re using Archer to do it. But it’s not like she has feelings for him anymore. Does she?


My thoughts:


I enjoyed this book more than Hex Hall and it surprised me.  Hex Hall seemed to be too much of a Harry Potter knockoff and I didn't enjoy it because the writing was no where NEAR J.K. Rowling and I kept comparing a little bit of the plotline to that of HP.  I know there were several differences but it distracted me from the actual story...however, in Demonglass, Sophie's character grows up a much more than what I thought should would have.  I felt like it was a more unique storyline and I didn't compare it with any other title I've read.  It took on a world of its own. 


Some things I didn't like though:
The fact that she's a "valley girl" type character all "whatever" and stuff.  The language was perfect for her character, so I don't feel like it's an author error.  In fact, I think the author did a great job in character building for Sophie.  It was believeable.  That being said, it was the actual character that I had a problem with because people who are THAT sarcastic need to be hit with a hammer.  Ok...so maybe it wasn't that bad.  And maybe I'm a little snarky too.  But the language did make her harder to fall in love with at first.  (and yes, I did end up loving her)  I guess it just gets hard to remember sometimes that she is very young and that's how the "youngens" talk and take it at face value.


SPOILER SECTION:
I have absolutely no idea how Sophie could still have feelings for Archer after everything that has been said and done.  Maybe we all have the "bad boy" in our lives that we've loved for no particular reason but that doesn't make it right.  It's upsetting and aggrivating!  Archer offers nothing to Sophie that can be useful except for kissing and he's so darn secretive and untrustworthy.  PLUS, it's a bad idea because of who she is and who he is.  Why is it that children never listen to their parents??  (bwahahaha)
Cal, on the other hand, is an amazing guy and would be perfect for Sophie.  OBVIOUSLY.  Anyway, the love triangle is typical.  Are you Team Cal or Team Archer?  Maybe we should buy shirts.  I'm Team Cal. 


I did love the storyline and luckily I've felt that way about a lot of the books I've read lately.  Of course I will be picking up the third in the series because I do like the characters (some more than others) and want to see what's going to happen to them.


Overall: I liked it better than the first part and I hope it gets better and better as it goes.


Rating: 4

No comments:

Post a Comment