Pages

Monday, April 18, 2011

The Name of my new favorite book




From Goodreads:
The story revolves around Kvothe, an enigmatic red-haired innkeeper who, as he shares his incredible life story with a renowned scribe, turns out to be much more than he appears. Born into a family of nomadic court performers, Kvothe's unconventional education was broadened by spending time with fellow travelers like Abenthy, an elderly arcanist whose knowledge included, among other things, knowing the name of the wind. After his parents are brutally murdered by mythical beings known as the Chandrian, Kvothe vows to learn more about the godlike group, and after suffering through years of homelessness, he finally gets his chance when he is admitted into the prestigious University. But the pursuit of arcane knowledge brings with it unforeseen dangers, as the young student quickly learns.

My thoughts:
This book was recommended by several of my friends as well as the NBC.  I have to say, I was a bit skeptical at first because it's not typically the genre I like to read, however, since it was so highly recommended by...EVERYONE, I bought it and gave it a try. 
OH-MY-GOD...about sums it up.
The writing is incredible, and fluid, and it pulls you in, and breaks you, and puts you back together, and evokes emotion...and and and...is amazing.  Rothfuss tells a tale about a world where everything makes sense--even when it doesn't.  The reader has no choice but to believe that this story exists somewhere.  Rothfuss develops a time and a currency and a whole world--a fantasy land, and with it tells a beautiful story about a young man who endures more than any one person should ever have to.  I am left wanting to know more about what happened between the time period at the University and his beginning as an innkeeper.  I have so many questions that still haven't been answered, therefore I will definitely be reading the second book in the trilogy very soon.  The problem with that is that the third book isn't out yet and I will have to wait to get a conclusion.  I never thought that 700 pages wouldn't be enough to quelch my thirst for a story.  Well done, Mr. Rothfuss...

Rating: 6 (one more point for absolute creativity)

No comments:

Post a Comment