Pages

Saturday, July 9, 2011

Still Alice...



I don't really know what to say about this book.  You can see the plot summary on Goodreads so I won't get into it here.  I was in awe.  When the NBC started the monthly discussion of it, I wanted to read it but I was a little hesitant because something like this usually tends to bring the ugly cry--and I HATE crying.  I'm emotional enough as it is.  There aren't many words.  What a provoking novel.  I cannot imagine myself going through early on-set Alzheimer's disease and it scares the tar out of me!  To be successful and have everything you need to not even  having a clue who your children are.  It's an awful thing to say, but I think death would be easier than looking into my three year old's eyes and not knowing who she is or how she got there. 
I remember from the discussion how some people hated the husband in this.  I have to say, I can see where he's coming from.  Sometimes it's easier to walk away than to face the reality of the situation.  It's not like their marriage was strong--it did seem like they were distant in life, so it was easy for him to want to run like hell.  I wouldn't blame my husband for doing the same thing.  I would hate someone to have to take care of me at such an early age.  I would feel like he deserved better than that--especially since I may not remember him in the end.  How awful to go through that. 
:(
The book was extremely well written.  I loved the flow and the way the time line was laid out.  She made Alice come alive in my heart and in my mind. 


Rating: 5

No comments:

Post a Comment