Pages

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

The Kingkiller Series--one of the best series


So as I was lurking on the NBC forum, trying to get ideas about what to read, I came across a ton of posts regarding Patrick Rothfuss and his Kingkiller Series, starting with The Name of the Wind.  It wasn't a genre I would typically pick up and read...well...I would never pick up and read it...but since every single post I went to talked about how amazing the writing was, I couldn't help but to be curious.  I read the first book quickly because I couldn't put it down, even though it was 700+ pages.  I devoured it.  I wanted more...which brings me to the second book in the series.  I have to say I was not disappointed.   Rothfuss' writing was out of this world.  Everything about the characters, time, location, events...every single minute detail was thought out and developed with absolutely no holes in the story.  I have never read anything as poetic (smirk) and enthralling.  You fall in love with the main character, Kvothe-who is a young man who experienced more things in his life than any young man should...and you hurt when he hurts and you ask yourself "what was he thinking?!" when he does something stupid.  You wrap yourself around the character like he is a real person and that these things really happened. 
The one part that I have to say went on a little too long with no action was about the time he spent learning about the Lethani.  Pardon my french, but I just wanted him to get out there and kick some ass...but Rothfuss knew that's what was expected, so instead of throwing this young man to the wolves, he developed an honest character full of delightful yet scary flaws.  He makes Kvothe grow as a person, teaching him lessons (some of which he'll never learn) along the way.
I cannot wait until the third book comes out because I have to see what happens next.  I have to see what took Kvothe to the extremes he is at now, as an innkeeper and not much more.  Wise Man's Fear is almost 1000 pages long, and yet it wasn't long enough.  My interest is peaked and I hope Rothfuss doesn't wait too long to put out the third in the series.

Rating: 5

3 comments:

  1. I keep seeing all the posts too, but still am wary of a fantasy book.

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG, isn't this book a-mazing??? I agree, his time with the Adem was slooooow, and I didn't care for the Fae scene either, but overall, those are just a drop in the bucket in this dictionary size book of awesomeness. I don't care how long Rothfuss takes to finish this trilogy. I will give him all the time in the world to finish with a bang. And I expect that he will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lizzel B--I completely agree with you...I will wait...as long as it takes his creative juices to create an awesome follow up.

    Kenpen-don't judge a book by it's genre. =)

    ReplyDelete